Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My addiction to fluff

Hi my name is Aubrey and I am addicted to cloth diapers.

When I found out I was having another baby I joined a great site for mommies (the bump).  Many women on there were cloth diapering and I had been considering it and did some research while pregnant.  The husband wasn't too excited about it because he thought it would be a hassle so I put it on the back burner to consider later.


Then W was born and I didn't really think about it.



When W was about 3 months old many of the mommas on the bump started raving about cloth diapers and posting the cutest pics of their babies in fluff.  I was up late one night and saw one momma post a super cute pic and a link to her blog.  After that I started majorly researching.  I decided that I wanted to try them.  I found some used (yes used) diapers on e-bay and ordered them.   After they got here I washed/prepped them and put them on W.


I was in love!
W's first fluffy butt




How could I not be?  I am (very) proud to say that W is cloth diapered 100% of the time she is home.  Her daycare doesn't do cloth but we will be moving and that will be a must for our next day care provider.  

I plan to blog more about cloth diapering and maybe do some reviews of what I have tried.  For now I will share the reasons I really decided to cloth diaper.

1)  The saving of the moo-la!  Before starting cloth we were spending about $30 a week that is about $120 a month on diapers.  Now that we Cloth diaper at home we spend about $30 a month for diapers used at daycare.  So far I have spent about $150 on my "stash."  This includes 3-pocket diapers (2 rumparooz and one kawii heavy wetter), 4 flip covers with 14 inserts,  2 thirsties duo wrap covers, 2 indian prefolds, 1 snappi, 1 large wet bag. I have only bought diapers when I had a code for money or a percentage off and with free shipping.  I wish my stash was larger but for now it works and I will grow it over time.  Just look at the savings!  Most sites that I have found estimate that cloth diapering can save well over $1000+ from birth to potty training. (as long as you don't go over board once you are addicted)

2)  The saving of the planet!  Disposable diapers last in a landfill for hundreds of years.  I wish I had known about cloth diapering when we had G.  Just thinking of the mountain of diapers still laying in the landfill from our first daughter makes me sick. Not to mention all the junk that goes into making sposies.  

3) The diaper rash.  W has super sensitive skin.  Before using cloth she had a very bad rash that just wouldn't go away.  Now she hasn't had one at all.  She still uses sposies for about 6 hours a day but I like to think that using them less is helping her skin.

4) The fact that they are absolutely adorable! 
 
Do you need more proof?


No comments:

Post a Comment